Tuesday, August 14, 2012

To my great partner Writing


Dear writing,

We have come such a long way. Our first meeting is still vivid to me. I had a pink crayon in my right hand which I transferred sheepishly to the left and scribbled the letters of my name – A-N-N-I-E F-E. It was a huge feat for me, and then our friendship began.

I’m sure you still recall my hologram-covered scented diary which held you in first grade. Those were about my every day experience and my childish thoughts. I was proud when we moved on to a padlocked diary but still with scented pages. Then again I wrote my feelings, my visions, and my dreams.

Then I met reading, one of your best friends. We eventually clicked and bonded together. I didn’t neglect you, even if you felt I did. In fact, I even attempted to make my own novel in third grade. Do you remember the story of Ashley, the girl who had a pit bull and had a clique of friends? I was only trying to put myself into words.

There are many trials that we’ve conquered together. The essay writing contests in and out of school ware not easy mountains to climb. Yet, we managed to end every paper with a dot. Despite the number of wins we had, I enjoyed.

When I moved to high school, we moved from literature to journalism. We endured the long night trainings for the division schools press conference every year, writing editorials in Filipino. There were even nights dedicated to the school publication. We were partners hoping for the words to make a difference.

We also tried blogging the amateur way. But it didn’t turn out nice. Daddy read our entries as I was vaguely talking about him. He didn’t talk to me for three days, treating me as a mere lodger. I learned ethics the hard way and at such an early age.

The list could go on if I try to enumerate all our experiences together. I failed to mention my academic papers, reviews and reports for schools. Regardless of the times we actually sat down together, what I really want to say is thank you. Thank you for being the outlet of my anger and sorrow. Thank you also for being my confidante whenever my secret’s too confidential for anyone to know. You kept them all safe and secure. Even up to today, they’re still between me and you.

Sorry if I had to use you for my advantage. I used this craft against the people I hated and loved the most so I could get back at them. If only I knew the consequences of doing so, I wouldn’t have done such. But trust me; I am never going to do that again.

Many people condemn you. They say your too demanding, tiring and too much. I couldn’t care less. I have understood that this you are not a friend to be known overnight. Just by recalling all our moments together explains the number of years it took to know one another. Maybe they just couldn’t understand you, or they are too impatient to even try.

Now that we are both earning from our partnership, I only wish the best for the both of us. I hope we would not be tainted by whatever unethical scheme I might place ourselves into. I also know that with you I could reach the impossible places.

You have been a great partner, and I intend to stay the same until my hands would cease to write or write as far as technology is concerned. Reading will also be one of my closest companions, but you are always on the priority.

Keep on inspiring me to reach my dreams, writing. Together we will.

A million love and thanks,

Adagio on Strings
Annie Fe Perez

**A non credit assignment submitted on August 6, 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment