Friday, November 11, 2011

Justice for Leftys

I've been a Left-handed or a "lefty" since I was born, I'm so sure of that. I recall my family members positioning a big crayon on my right hand and I'd secretly transfer it to the left. Over and again, we'd repeat the same process until they finally gave up and knew my fate was to be a lefty.

It was hard growing up being branded as a lefty. In elementary school, it was weird me just using my left hand to write and raise my hand. I received scornful looks from my classmates. When I moved up to the intermediate level, I had a hard time writing on an armchair until I reached high school. My friends complained at how our elbows bumped during meal times, and even was not accepted at the most unimaginable places to the point of being labelled as abnormal. I just shrug if all off convincing myself I was normal.

Writing with my left hand
Well, I was, at the very least. Born by a mother, having two hands and feet, and a brain that could count in 5 languages! According to an article entitled left handedness, some cultures find using the left hand as improper. Yet, it IS normal. Sciencedaily.com said that, "Left handedness is not a disease nor an illness." So?

Studies show that hand orientation is developed during the early stage of being a fetus. It is also possible that a gene handed down the line may cause such. Oops, it looks like there is nothing to blame but your own bloodline. No, not the environment, not the influence but your own body birthed by your parents. Actually, a lot people made names being left handed and there weren't abnormal either. Say, like, USA President Barack Obama and the man before him George W. Bush, even Bill Clinton. Don't get me wrong, even Manny Pacquiao does power punches with his left knuckle.

We aren't meant to be treated as the other way just like LGBT's don't. They are just hands for crying out loud and mind that sees things in reverse. It wasn't our fault, forgive us. I wouldn't trade my hands for a normal one and give up my ambidexterity and all the other perks of being a lefty. I'm creative enough to let loose. Who's with me? Raise your left hands up, Leftys!

4 comments:

Bamboo Ranada said...

How come I envy lefties? Clearly, you weren't hindered by your "abnormality" because you were able to outshine all the right-handed classmates you had. This is another case of going against norms (though, like you said, it isn't your "fault"---It's not even a mistake, God's design is great) and being labeled as an outcast. There have been a lot of great lefties who were able to influence what people do today. And I hope that you would be one of those greats. I raise my right hand in salute to you lefties. :)

Gloiza said...

I'm a lefty too! :)

James Karl V. Roa said...

I'm a lefty too!
And I believe that "lefties" are so unique that they have a special skill that surpasses those who are "righties". To Bamboo Ranada: Bro, hahaha pinagmamalaki ko na kaliwete ako. haha.

Annie Fe Perez said...

Cheers to you all lefties!!!

Post a Comment