Thursday, December 22, 2011

Singing Carols

I have never forgotten what it was like to sing in front of an unknown doorstep. Hand in hand with my best friends, we were aiming for big coins like the 5s and the 10s. As we stood in front, we would stun ourselves and take time to study the residents' personality then sing. Oftentimes we weren't allowed to finish our songs, probably because we've ruined their peaceful evening. There are some of course, who loved our songs and compliment us for the mini-blending we've come up with our little voices. The best part was the end of the night. We'd gather outside our porch and pour all the coins (and sometimes bills!) we've collected. After the final count, we'd divide them according to our number while my mom and dad brings out hot chocolate and pastries.

As I grew old, the excitement for caroling faded away. We were grown ups, busy with school and coping up with life. I still got to be invited by some of the people who knew my inclination for music. They'd sometimes request for my violin to be brought along,  I didn't mind. It wasn't more of a choice, just a duty to fulfill so they could reach the desired amount of money. The residents this time were different. They'd often give us a cold shoulder whenever the white envelope was handed to them. The thought of solicitation during the season of the Christmas scared them but the stakes were high, bringing the name of an association. There was no excitement at the end of the night, no thrill, no fancies, just plain singing.

Today, I'm confronted with little children who happily sing in front of our house. Some make singing carols a living, while others do it for the spirit of Christmas. I used to imagine what it was like a decade ago. My coins make up for those who sing with a heart, not for those who come back to our house night after night. Dear children, Merry Christmas. Giving it is, as the Lord gave. This is not a job, it's for the hearts of the people to be open. I hope you know the message of the songs, and not think its oh what far it is to wide on a wane horse open sleigh, hey. Happy Holidays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment