Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Music of the Harp

I don't know if all of you know David from the Bible but let's assume that you all do. Oh alright, I'm going to give a teeny bit of a background. David was the son Father of Jesse and was the second king of Israel. At a very young age, he was chosen to be king. He was the one who defeated the famous Goliath and the psalmist. Studying David from the contextual view of the Bible made me discover that he also played the harp.

I have never seen anyone play the harp but has heard - Sweet, tender and relaxing. My grandfather used to have one in his home but never played it. The trusty man who used to tune it every week was the one who did. Anyway, last Saturday, my friend played the harp during her debut.


I was amazed at how she did! Although it's still a musical instrument and I'm a musician myself, a harp is something out of the ordinary. We are not in the olden days anymore and seeing someone play this instrument totally brings amusement. 

Personally, I was inspired. She played Canon in D by Pachelbel, a piece not so far from ours. Then and there, music is what binds us together regardless of instruments, culture and beat. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment